Monday, January 19, 2009

Space...




Space is empty yet it's full.  Lots of people ignore the fact that they take up space and need it to move around in.  They’re too involved in their own lives to be bothered. Personally when I notice that I’m taking up space, I become submerged in a special heightened sense of awareness.   In this state I can analyze my body and the space it inhabits and attain supreme control over it.  For example, right after a morning run, while in the shower, I can feel all my muscles burn and expand within my body.  Each limb swollen and throbbing and taking up it’s own space in the universe. 

The comprehension of space is also sometimes perceptual.  During hot days, I like to sit under a large tree and immerse myself in its shade.  As my mind wanders, I’ll stare through the leaves and spot a pair of two different trees conjoined through the leaves.  From the “real” tree, another emerges, one made of blue sky from the cracks and spaces of the leaves.  They’re both “real,” one is just solid and the other is made up of spaces.

Even in social situations space is a factor:  At a cafe I automatically measure the distance between me and a neighboring girl in the adjacent table from me, calculating each movement and Interpreting her body language.  When a waitress comes to pick up the empty saucer and cup from my tea, her forearm invades my personal space and her body strokes my body’s wind, coming a half an inch from touching my skin.  I can feel her body's heat radiating upon me, heating up that small amount of space between us.  For that moment we’re one.


No comments:

Post a Comment